Moving House – Change of Address Checklist

October 1, 2014

Moving house or apartment can be a  stressful time with so many things to organise . If you are moving house in Ireland there are several places you need to inform of  your change of address.

Re-directing post:

An Post – the Irish Post Office – offers a postal re-direction service, which will ensure that all your post is forwarded to your new address. There is a fee for this service –

Up to 3 months €50.00 ; Up to 6 months €70.00 ; and up to 12 months €100. The charges are more if you are moving outside Ireland.If you use this redirection service –  you will still have to inform all your important contacts of your address change.

Gas and  Electricity

When you move house – Electricity and  Gas accounts  will need to be either closed or transferred into the name of the new owners. If you are moving from rented accommodation, your landlord may request that you transfer these services into their name to avoid having to pay reconnection fees. Make sure you take final meter readings for gas and electricity services just before you leave.

If you are moving into a home that has been previously occupied, ask the previous owners to transfer the utility accounts into your name. Take meter readings for gas and electricity as soon as you take possession of the premises. If utilities need to be connected, contact your electricity service provider (ESB Customer Supply or other) or Bord Gáis in good time to ensure that everything is working by the time you take possession of the premises.   .

Irish Water – You will need to tell Irish Water that you are moving house.

LPT – make sure your LPT is paid up to date. If you have already paid in advance for the year = you won’t get  a refund. Whoever owns a property on Nov 1st is liable for the following year’s LPT.

Waste collection
Bin Collection accounts  will need to be either closed or transferred into the name of the new owners. If you are moving from rented accommodation, your landlord may request that you transfer these services into their name. Contact your local authority or Bin Collection company to let them know you are leaving and make sure you have paid all the waste charges that are owed on the property. Make sure there are no outstanding waste changes on your new home as you may be liable for them

Telephone Landline

Telephone accounts can be transferred between old and new addresses like electricity and gas accounts. This will save you paying a reconnection fee and means that you’ll have a working phone as soon as you move in. Likewise, if someone is moving into your old home immediately, you can transfer the account into their name.

Television licence

In Ireland, if you have a television you must hold a Television Licence. If you are moving house, you will need to transfer the address on your TV licence. Bring your existing licence to your nearest post office, together with evidence of your new address (a household utility bill or a bank statement will do). Staff in your post office will then amend the details on your record and your licence will be updated and re-issued to you. This service is free. If  you are movingabroad – there is no refund available on TV licences.

Cable/digital television

If you subscribe to cable or digital television services, you will need to contact your service provider to either cancel your account or arrange for a service in your new home. You may be able to transfer your account from your previous address, depending on where you are moving.

Electoral register

The Electoral Register is held by your local authority. A new register is compiled each year and you have until 25 November to have your name included or to make any changes (such as a change of address) to your details. If you miss this deadline, you can apply to have your name included in the Supplement to the Electoral Register. To do so, you will need to complete a Change of Address form and return it to your local authority. There is no fee for this service.

Driving licence, car insurance and vehicle registration details

Car Insurance :You must contact your insurance company or broker and let them know your new address so that your insurance policy can be updated.

AA/ RAC – If you are a member of a break-down service, don’t forget to change your address with them also.

Vehicle Registration: Remember to fill in the change of address section on your vehicle registration certificate and return it to the Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government. You will find the address on the certificate. They will update your details and send you a new registration certificate. There is no charge for this service.

Driving Licence : You are not obliged to change the address on your driving licence, but it is advisable to do so.

House, health and life insurance

You will need to contact your insurance company to discuss your house insurance as coverage varies from one company to the next. You should also ask if the contents of your house will be covered during the move. Many insurance companies will insure your house contents in transit as long as they will be packed and moved by a professional moving firm. If not, most moving firms provide moving insurance.

Your health insurance company will also require your new address details so information on your policy and renewal can be forwarded to you directly.

Children’s schools

If your children will continue to attend their current school, you just need to make sure that the school has your new address and contact number. If you have enrolled your children in a new school, make sure your child’s school records have been transferred there before they start. Don’t forget to let your children’s current school know when they will be leaving.

Financial institutions

If you are moving to a new area, you may want to move your bank account to a local branch. There is no charge for this service. If you are staying with the same bank branch, make sure they have your new address. You will also need to contact your building society, credit union, credit card company, pension provider, etc.

Revenue Commissioners / Property Tax

You will also need to notify your change of address to the Revenue Commissioners. Make sure you contact the correct tax district; you can get the contact information from any of your tax documents. Always quote your PPS number in correspondence or on the phone.


Get in touch with the Human Resources (HR) and the payroll departments where you work and give them your new contact details.

Social insurance and social security payments

If you receive any social welfare payments, such as Child Benefit or Jobseeker’s Benefit you will need to contact your local social welfare office to let them know your new address. Failure to do so may result in disruptions to your payments. They will require proof of your new address, such as a utility bill or bank statement.

Health professionals

You will need to notify your change of address to your doctor, dentist, optician and any other health professionals that you deal with. If you are moving to a new area, you can contact your Local Health Office for details of health professionals in your area. Make sure your health records are transferred to your new professionals.


Comments are closed.